Keep your perineal area clean and dry.
- Use the spray bottle filled with warm water each time you urinate or have a bowel movement.
- Use Dial Bar (yellow kind only) to clean that area until healed
- Use blow dryer on cool setting to dry the area after bathing
- Pat dry, gently, from front to back, with tissue.
- Change your pad each time you use the bathroom.
- Wear loose cotton underwear or go without underwear when possible.
Soak in the tub or use the Sitz bath three times a day, at least.
- Get lots of rest.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
- Eat lots of protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs, legumes), vegetables and fruit.
- Take your prenatal vitamin daily
- Take your pain medication as needed for comfort and to allow you to care for yourself and your baby.
Call your doctor or nurse-midwife if you experience any of the following:
- You have a fever greater than or equal to 100.4
- You have hard or infrequent bowel movements..
- You notice foul-smelling lochia (vaginal discharge and bleeding) or uterine tenderness (below your belly button).
- Your perineum is not improving after 48 hours
Contact your doctor office if you have any concerns.